These are only recommended specifications for student personal computers. No matter what brand computer you purchase we will do our best to provide a connection for you, but we can not guarantee functionality for all network cards.
- Unsupported, and not recommended
- Recommended Hardware Specifications
|Hardware||Minimum Requirements Listed Below|
|Processor||Intel® Core™ 5th Generation (or equivalent), AMD A9 Series (or equivalent), 2.5Ghz or better.|
|RAM Memory||4 – 8GB, with option for 8 – 12GB configuration|
|Graphics||ATI or NVIDIA (Windows 10, 7 or 8 & Windows Aero ready)|
|Display||User preference (smaller screen for portability)|
|Hard Drive||120GB SSD or 500GB SATA with option for larger drive|
|Optical Drive||Optional – Internal CD/DVD read-write or External CD-DVD read-write|
|Network Card||100/1000GB Ethernet Card or Ethernet Adapter|
|Wireless||Integrated 802.11 A,B,G,N,AC 128 bit encryption wireless.|
|Type II Card Slot||Optional for Older Machines – At least one open slot available with machine.|
|Ports/Connections||VGA or DVI or HDMI Port
2 USB Port
1 Thunderbolt or USB C (Optional) and Port Hub if needed.
I/O (Audio, Headphone)
|Battery||6 or 9 cell|
|Operating System||Windows 10, Windows 8, 8.1, Windows 7, or Apple macOS 10.13, 10.12, 10.11,10.10,10.9|
|Office Suite||Office 2016, Office 2013 (Windows) or Office 2016,Office 2011(macOS)|
|Antivirus||Provided by The College of New Jersey.|
|Misc. Services and Items|
|Warranty||Three to Four year onsite warranty and accidental damage coverage.|
|Security||Security cables are recommended for laptops|
To get discounted prices on computer purchases for TCNJ students, please consult the IT Computer Purchases page for more information.
- If you are not sure whether to purchase PC or Mac, please contact the department chair for your major to verify any specific requirements for software you will need to use.
For purchasing third-party network hardware, RES.net recommends the following specifications:
- Must be a 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
- Must have an RJ-45 jack (looks like an oversized phone jack)
- Must be a Category-5, straight-through Ethernet cable (not a crossover cable)
- Network cable is recommended to be a length of 25′ or less